PSB 2019 will not be affected by the volcanic activity on the Big Island. Please rest assured that there are no circumstances under which we would not accept paper submissions, review them and publish the accepted papers.
The Fairmont Orchid's Volcanic Activity Statement
May 22, 2018
As news of volcanic activity taking place in isolated area on Hawaii Island (aka Big Island) continues to make headlines around the world, it is important that we have updated information related to the natural phenomenon taking place. The health and safety of our guests and colleagues remains paramount and we will continue to share updates as received from numerous regional agencies, Civil Defense and partners who are closely monitoring this situation.
- We have procedures in place to ensure the hotel is a safe and secure environment.
- Guest and colleague safety is our primary responsibility, and there are no concerns at this time.
- There is absolutely no reason at this time for travelers to change or alter their leisure or business plans.
- All of the Hawaiian Islands are unaffected by Kilauea volcano except a remote area on the Island of Hawai′i’s east side. Out of the island’s 4,028 square miles, only less than a 10-square-mile area of Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions in Puna is affected. The volcano is located 100 miles from the Fairmont Orchid.
- Air Access: All flights into the State of Hawaii, including those on the Island of Hawai′i – Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole - KOA (west) and Hilo International Airport - ITO (east) – are operating normally.
- Accommodations and Activities: All accommodations, activities and attractions on the island are also operating normally, with the exception of those in the area affected by the lava activity in Puna.
- Air Quality: Air quality on the Island of Hawai′i remains largely unchanged with this situation. However, air quality near where the lava is flowing can be hazardous (SO2-sulfur dioxide), and officials are continuing to monitor air quality. For current SO2 air conditions from the Hawaii Department of Health, please visit http://www.hiso2index.info/.
For updated information, please see the Fairmont's Advisories and Guest Updates.